Where do accepted dividends go?

This is probably a simple question. I haven’t been able to figure out the dividend feature. I get the indications when there is a dividend, and accept them. However, they don’t seem to go anywhere in the account. Shouldn’t they immediately go to the cash account? Where do they default to going after validating them?

I don’t think they’ll be added anywhere because Sharesight doesn’t know what you do with the dividends. You could have an automatic dividend reinvestment plan or have it paid out to your bank account. DRP could cause you to buy more shares right then, or the funds could be held until you have enough to buy a share. No way for Sharesight to know.
They’re included in the taxable income report though so you have a record of it for tax time.

1 Like

If you have DRP turned on for that share and turned on in Sharesight, they will allocate and assign more shares to you as happens in real life. Otherwise I dont think accepted goes into the cash account but that could be a good feature

I just asked sharesight this question and found the forum. Hopefully we will get answer soon.

Hi @Bensonh! We do have a sync feature for cash accounts where your buy and sell trades along with dividends will sync as they are paid into the cash account (see this link on how to set this up).

This will be delayed if you have ticked the cash account accrual toggle in the settings tab, meaning that it will appear once the paid date passes.

It should be noted, that for this sync to be available, the cash account must be in the same currency as the currency of the portfolio.

If a portfolio has equities in two currencies what happens to the dividends, transactions of the equities that are not in the primary currency. for example my tax region is in CND$ so I assume that CDN$ equities would update into the $CDN cash account. How is the foreign equities (ie $US) dealt with? Are they ignored or are the converted to $CDN and imported into the CDN$ cash account. Ideally Sharesight needs to flag where to sync the transactions (by currenvy of equity or manually). THis should be on your roadmap.

At this stage, if you’ve set up payouts to sync into your cash account, all dividends will be converted into the currency of your portfolio and then reflected in the cash account. The sync feature only shows cash accounts in the same currency as the portfolios base currency.

If the sync isn’t set up, then nothing will show in the cash accounts and you will have to manually input these figures into each account.