UK Capital Gains Tax Calculation

Thanks again Tcs106. To be honest that calculator works really well. I tried the example tabular data and it was great. All that is needed is to compile all the data in the table. Hopefully Sharesight will incorporate this into their application and this would save time doing this.

1 Like

Tcs106, I got feedback from the Sharesight team

ā€˜The UK Capital Gains Tax report is definitely still an initiative that Sharesight is keen to continue exploring, however, timing isnā€™t right just yet. We aim to revisit it in the second half of next year [2022].ā€™

This is a bit late for me to be honest. I had been looking for UK tax reporting to be a key part of this application, so I am disappointed that Sharesight are targeting the back half of next year, so with a bit of slippage, it may not be ready till the 2022 - 2023 tax year. In preparation, I will look to see if I can download the trades that I have added to Sharesight and use the CGT calculator website. If this is easy to use for my full portfolio, I may stick with what I have, but if not I will either need to find an application where I can do my tax reporting and hold my portfolio or hire an accountant to do this. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update! Yes, this is quite disappointingā€¦I still have some hope that my broker, IG, will produce CGT reports for the 2021-2022 tax year, fingers crossed. I will also be using the CGT calculator online in the meantimeā€¦The tricky bit is to convert all prices, fees and taxes into GBP but if you already have this information, it shouldnā€™t be too difficult, albeit time consuming.

If you are technically inclined, I recently added support for Sharesight to this great open-source tool that can do CGT calculation: GitHub - KapJI/capital-gains-calculator: UK capital gains tax calculator which understands transaction history from different brokers

You will need to export the Taxable Income and All Trades reports for all time, and convert them to CSV format.

I need to work out my UK Capital Gains Tax Calculation for my US-based TECH stocks(GOOG, AMZN etc) for Jan 2022. If there is a Beta program to get this going soon from ShareSight. I would love to join to test it out. Anyone from ShareSight please add me. I am an Expert subscriber.
For the time being, I will use the ā€œSold Securities Reportā€, just not sure how it allocates the sales of shares, is it in line with UK CGT procedures??? In which case, I do not need to know the details, I can just use the figure on my Self Ass Tax Form and the job is done, and can get on with the fun business of how to spend it! Can anyone advise? Many thanks. Farshad

Here I suggested a generic one which can be customized to fit different countries by selecting the allocation method and the likes: Capital Gains Tax Report for Spain or a generic customizable one

New to Sharesight, nice product. I think this UK CGT feature makes the difference between my paying for the application or not. I want more portfolio option and more groups and was ready to upgrade until I discovered this was missing. So NOT taking any action to do that at the moment.
I hope the team get to this feature soon. I also note that other products provide an income tax total by tax band 0% 20% 40% etc for dividends at the bottom of the dividend report.

Donā€™t forget the UK ISA based portfolio wrapper aspect. These are not subject to income or capital gains tax. The starting point would be the ability to mark ISA wrapped shares as having a different tax arrangement.

This is a feature Iā€™ve asked Sharesight to implement for around 2 years now and all I got back is ā€˜The product team is looking into itā€™ā€¦

Sharesight are not interested in their UK customers.

Hello ,

I live in Ireland but previously in the UK, and what would be very helpful for me (and simple to implement) would be simply the capability to be able to choose FIFO as the ordering principle when reporting gains / losses in the sold security report. This is not the same as a fully tax reporting compliant CGT report, but for me at least, it would solve 95% of my problems, and I can easily adjust to account for the rest. The same FIFO option (but with a Ā£ currency base) would have been very helpful when I lived in the UK as well.

I canā€™t imagine that adding a FIFO gain reporting option would be at all difficult from a programming perspective and Iā€™m puzzled why it doesnā€™t exist given that Sharesight seems to offer many different options re home country of portfolio and, otherwise, has a refreshingly international bent. At least for me, adding a FIFO option would make Sharesight very useful and, since I doubt an actual Irish tax compliant version will be forthcoming for years (if ever), is the only path to turn me into a paying user.

Thanks @Jessinv_Sharesight

For UK customers

How about Pensions and ISA accounts.

Does it ignore capital gains from those accounts?

Has this issue been resolved? My subscription says I pay for a CGT report but it does not exist. It is 12-months since you advised that you are working on it so if you are not developing a solution please let your subscribers know! In the meantime, which report do you recommend.

No response to my question here but chat response stated that nothing is happening. I can only assume the UK customer base is not sufficient for them to bother as CGT is not a complicated equation. Interestingly, this is what the Sharesight UK website says:

Want automatic holding updates, with comprehensive tax and performance reporting, wrapped up in an easy-to-use, fully online system? Thatā€™s Sharesight in a nutshell.

At best, misleading - at worst, an outright lie. Either way, itā€™s marketing that is contrary to the Unfair Trading Regulations for Consumer Protection.

Not only have Sharesight failed to deliver on UK CGT S104 pooling calculations they have also failed to deliver on an ISA portfolio which has its own special tax treatment for income and gains/losses. On the basis of their abject failure to serve their UK customers I will not recommend Sharesight to any other UK investors.

1 Like

I see mainly UK investors on this topic.
But what about US investors?
No idea how many US investors are using Sharesight
but I am one of them. There is much I like about Sharesight
but the lack of a CGT report for US tax purposes is a big miss in my view.
Inability of tracking and/or modifying of cost base for correct FIFO cost base calculation is another big miss. Could it be that there are so few US investors on this platform that Sharesight has no interest/incentive to do something about this? Hope to see some replies from US investors.
I have also posted this under ā€œUS Capital Gains Tax Calculationā€.

Support of UK CGT calculations, or at the very least a report that shows all purchases for a security that is sold within a specified tax year would be very helpful. None of the Sharesight reports seem to give all the information that would be required to even perform the calculations manually.

Please can you provide an update on any plans to support this for your UK customers, thank you.

1 Like

Seems like theyā€™ve given up on the ideaā€¦

Hi all

I am very new to Sharesight and am only using the free version at the moment for trial. I was looking for a replacement tool to help me with SA108 and Section 104 computations for UK tax purposes, I have used TimetoTrade for many years but they are saying they are closing at the end of Feb23 so looking around for replacement tools. So if there was progress on this front it would be useful to hear on.

1 Like