BUYING/SELLING shares , Right or Wrong

Hi Jess , did you sell ORE , not just because I said so but because you perhaps felt it has run bit too far as well . Best

Hi Farming, Would you mind explaining why you suggest to Jess to sell ORE if it closes below $8.90 in your previous post? I am curious to know how do you come up with this number. Thank you very much. :grinning:

No worries Fionaleung , if you scroll up you will see that jess asked me suggestion on selling as she was sitting on huge profits but couldn’t decide when is the good time to sell . What she really meant is , “if I sell I might lose on further run up and if I don’t I might give back lots of my profits” . In view of that I suggested $8.90 which was Daily EMA stop loss line . Had I suggested Weekly EMA stop loss line it would have been $7.70 or so ( this means she would still be in the trade but maybe giving back 30% of profits she made ) By suggesting Daily EMA she was only giving back 5%-6% ( which was the cost of "possibly riding even higher " ) Had I suggested Monthly EMA she would let profits slip as far as $5.70 which would have been huge give back % ( should the SP ever get there . Now we must talk about the TRADE OFF , there is always one which means "if you are willing to take bigger losses you have a chance to make bigger profits , should market fall and then rebound up again “. If not ( which would be my advice to take smaller losses , chance of hitting that stop is higher , therefore limiting upside ( should the SP rebound ) . My view is and I stand by it , never give back most of your profits ( once you’ve made them ) just to stand a chance of possibly making more . I would rather get out and wait on the sidelines and possibly get back into ORE later when I feel more comfortable . If it carries on down you can buy it cheaper and if it goes up to new high , at least trend is confirmed and it’s safe to enter again . Also sleep at night test for Jess was sorted out imo. We must never worry how much we might make but worry only about how much we might lose . Protect our losses is main act in " Rule 1 Never lose money and Rule 2 is remember rule 1” . P.S. Needless to say never lose money means lose as little as possible :slight_smile:

1. * > strong text

**text

If something isn’t clear ( as people say my writing often isn’t :slight_smile: ) ask away Fionaleung .

Thank you so much Farming for the detailed reply. It is much appreciated.
I think what you said is that if I have already made a great profit from a stock and want to sell, I should sell it at the Daily EMA price level (rather than the Weekly EMA or the Monthly EMA). This approach has the advantage of keeping most of my profit already made. The downside is that I will miss out benefiting from any large and sudden price jump (as the recent WTC case), because I have already sold. Am I on the right track?
To apply this to the PNI share (which I don’t hold) as an example, the current share price is $17.42, I think I should sell it at $15.71. I arrive this from the following Commsec data: (1) Daily EMA (20): $15.71, (2) Weekly EMA (20): $12.59 and (3) Monthly EMA (20): $8.72. Am I getting these figures right?
Lastly, I must thank you again for your generosity in your time and efforts to teach others the art and skill of investing. Had I such knowledge before, I could have saved a lot of bacons in my investment journey with APX :tired_face:. Cheers.

Or should I say, I will sell PNI when its share price drops to $17.42?

Correction: Sell when its share price drops to $15.71?

That is right Fionaleung . For ORE I chose tight stop and Daily , had it been something I am much more reasonably sure off I would have perhaps chosen Weekly or Monthly . In case of PNI you are right re that price but I am more sure that it wont drop 20% -30% tomorrow so would NOT chose Daily but more longer one like Weekly and even Monthly , which admittedly is very far . I am not as sure in ORE as I am in PNI therefore difference. Another factor in play could be tax so if your investment is 11 months old versus 3 months than perhaps Daily isn’t good ( day after 12 th month it would be ) as you want full tax benefit . But generally you are 100% on the money .

Great advice. Thank you again, Farming. Cheers. :smiley:

Hey farming - I am selling my portfolio in my personal name to put into Family Trust portfolio. My accountant has instructed me to do this. This is seperate to my larger SMSF portfolio.
Anyway I get chance to re-shape portfolio and have been looking and goal is growth with some capital conservation. This may be used to help fund early retirement.

I was thinking LH Global 28%, CSL 8%, MFG 5%, MOAT 7.8%, NDQ 13.5%, SOL 7.8%, VAS 7.8%, PNI 5% and ATEC 8.5%. These % and stock is mostly what I already had.

Interested in your thoughts.

Hi Eel , all great looking imno too BUT if it was me I wouldn’t see holding MOAT and VAS as being any advantage over rather having more LH or NDQ . I wouldn’t see the point but otherwise there shouldn’t be much difference .

Did you notice I contacted you via Discord too , Eel :slight_smile:

I didn’t see Discord as dont use it. Will have to try to get back there.

Thanks for feedback. Was tinkering just then and was thinking off getting rid of SOL as well and putting that into more of LG Global and ATEC? That would take LH Global to about 35%.

That would give this portfolio about 60% International and 40% domestic.

I’m sure you knew what I meant by excluding VAS , my view is if Nasdaq and Joe drop by big % , VAS will drop much more , if Nasdaq and Joe rise , VAS will rise less . Only my view and I don’t see VAS ever outperforming either, admittedly for comfort VAS is good and steady .

VAS mostly there are little bit of security.

Do you use discord much?

1 Like

Discord I just started on Thursday and am flat out like I used to be on MFSA :slight_smile: Saw your name there so clicked on to say high . We discussed lot about MFG , APX and ALU so you might be interested . I tried for months to log in but it looked so complicated but Gman helped me a lot and now they can’t get rid of me :slight_smile: I agree re VAS and security as lonmg a syou are happy with ± 10% returns/year on average . Nothing wrong with 10% btw , we are too spoiled in recent years .