Best US ETFs Mix for Portfolio

This topic is obviously a knockoff of slider77’s topic, but I would like to get a measure of interest in discussing US investments at Sharesight. The plan is to suggest a portfolio of about a dozen US ETFs each month for discussion based on the existing macroeconomic environment. The portfolios may contain ETFs of stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, alternatives and cash equivalents. Each portfolio will be published prior to the month it will be implemented. All replies are welcomed, and critiques are encouraged.
July 2022 Portfolio: UUP 15%, VMNFX 15%, EDV 15%, MBB 15%, XLP 5%, TIP 10%, XLV 5%, LQD 5%, IJR 5%, XLU 5%, VCMDX 5%.
Post your favorite portfolio.

August 2022 Portfolio: UUP 15%, VMNFX 15%, EDV 15%, MBB 15%, XLP 5%, TIP 5%, XLV 5%, LQD 5%, BIL 20%.
Post your favorite portfolio here.

September 2022 Portfolio: UUP 15%, VMNFX 15%, DBC 15%, MBB 15%, XLE 5%, TIP 5%, GLD 5%, IJR 5%, BIL 20%.

most people I see just mix together VAS + VGS (in Australia at least) with VGS including a lot of US exposure… or just VTS for S&P500

I prefer ETFs that cover specific sectors of the US market I want exposure to but aren’t well covered by stocks on the ASX, so FUEL and FOOD by BetaShares are the only two I hold currently :man_shrugging:

Thank you for your response. I hope to stimulate an ongoing conversation about asset allocation and portfolio construction with this topic. I’m curious to know if you have ready access to the symbols in my portfolio.

October 2022 Portfolio: UUP 15%, VMNFX 15%, DBC 15%, MBB 15%, TLT 15%, GLD 5%, TIP 5%, BIL 15%.

November 2022 Portfolio: TLT 20%, GLD 15%, MBB 15%, UUP 15%, TIP 15%, BTAL 15%, LQD 5%.

I use SCHP for exposure to TIPS.
I use GUNR for exposure to commodities in general via commodity equities.

Just choices I made, not suggesting they are better.

Thank you! I think they may be better choices. They have lower expense ratios. Their volumes are less, and liquidity may not be quite as good. I don’t know about the bid-to-ask spread. It looks like GUNR may have underperformed year to date for some reason. I may start using one or both. Would you consider posting an entire portfolio?

December 2022 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, DBC 10%, GLD 10%, XLB 10%, HYG 10%, XLE 10%, XLK 10%, EFA 5%, XLC 5% TIP 5%, LQD 5%.

January 2023 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, DBC 10%, XLE 10%, XLB 10%, EFA 10%, VXF 10%, IJR 10%, XLK 5%, XLY 5% XLI 5%, XLF 5%.

Hi I have Vti, usf, vht and various nz smartshares etfs.
Just wondering what returns are you achieving using those etfs. I’ve not heard of most of them. Thanks

Thanks for your response. I assume you are a New Zealand investor. These ETFs are all available in the US. I am not familiar with usf or the nz investments. I do not track the portfolio shown in this topic, but I run three actual brokerage accounts that use similar approaches. Most investors would agree that it has been a pretty rough year, and the average for those three accounts is -4.84% year to date. I continue working on analytical techniques in an effort to improve my risk adjusted returns.

February 2023 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, VAW 10%, VEA 10%, VWEHX 10%, VGT 10%, VXF 10%, VFH 10%, GLD 5%, VCR 5% VOX 5%, VWESX 5%.

March 2023 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, VFH 10%, VEA 10%, VAW 10%, VNQ 10%, VGT 10%, VWEAX 10%, VXF 5%, VCR 5% VWETX 5%, GLD 5%.

Forgot about this thread. :grinning:

GUNR is commodity equities not pure commodities, that was a conscious decision I made for my commodities allocation. Yes, over 2021-2022 it under-performed relative to pure commodities, presumably due to GUNR would also be influenced by the equities markets, which that I am content with as an implication (or feature) of my choice.

Some other ETFs that feature in my portfolios - JEPI, JEPQ, QQQM, SCHD, TQQQ, UPRO.

Yes. I often buy mining companies instead of metals. Do you employ any identifiable strategies, and do you use benchmarks or calculate performance ratios such as Sharpe, Sortino, Martin, Information, etc.? How do you measure how well you are performing as an investor, and can you provide an assessment over recent time periods such as the last year?

April 2023 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, VFH 10%, VEA 10%, VAW 10%, VNQ 10%, VGT 10%, VWEAX 10%, VXF 5%, VCR 5% VWETX 5%, GLD 5%.

1 Like

May 2023 Portfolio: XME 10%, RINF 10%, VFH 10%, VEA 10%, VAW 10%, VNQ 10%, VGT 10%, VWEAX 10%, VXF 5%, VCR 5% VWETX 5%, GLD 5%.

June 2023 Portfolio: VNQ 8%, VFH 8%, VAW 8%, VXF 8%, VTMGX 8%, VCR 8%, VGT 8%, GLD 8%, RINF 8%, VWEAX 7%, VIS 7%, VOX 7%, VWETX 7%.