Track “Industry Superannuation Funds”

Is it possible to use ShareSight to track Industry Superannuation Fund managers such as AustralianSuper, Hostplus, Unisuper et al and obtain daily prices of their various investment options?

Many thanks in advance

8 Likes

That is an interesting idea. I do not have an industry fund myself, but to automate it would depend on the Super Funds opening up their system to external systems to query them. I doubt they would do this. If they did allow this access then I am sure it would be possible for Sharesight to give you your fund balance on the summary. I doubt it could easily give you the return though, for this it would need know every super contribution.

2 Likes

Hi @Harbord thank you for the post. I agree with @goronwyprice, we do not have tracking for ‘Industry Super Funds’. But you can add it as a custom investment in your Sharesight portfolio if you’re planning to track the balance of your superfund.

I am already tracking my Superannuation balance using the ShareSight “Custom investment” and then manually adding daily unit prices that are found on my superannuation website.

Clearly daily/weekly/monthly/annual unite prices are being published by various Superannuations funds. Analysts are able to obtain superannuation performance data.

My question pertains to ShareSight be able to automatically retrieve this data? Is there a “Central” clearing house of data for Superannuation funds i.e. APRA If not, is it possible for ShareSight to obtain the data for the top funds AustraliaSuper, Hotsplus, SunSuper et al via a backend Webscraper or any API that a Superannuation Fund may provide.

Surely this would benefit the majority of ShareSight users who have Superannuation funds and well as the Superannuation Funds themselves as share sight would provide a mechanism/feature/tool to analyse/model Superannuation Fund performance.

1 Like

I agree with you it would be a good feature but I doubt the super funds would allow it. To get the returns Sharesight would need access every contribution. I do not think web scraping is an option in this case because your returns are probably password protected. Remember your individual return may not be quite the same as the fund return because of the timing of contributions and pension withdrawals.

Each fund investment option will have a unit price. The data is fundamentally available. Each fund is choosing to be transparent or not by making its investment daily unit price available rather than just the bare minimum of annual performance.

My request is for Sharesight to automatically obtain this data just like it does for the various stock markets and funds.

For example, google “Superannuation unit price”

https://hostplus.com.au/investment/our-investment-performance/investment-returns

https://www.sunsuper.com.au/investments/performance/super-savings/unit-price-graphs

https://www.gesb.wa.gov.au/members/investment-and-performance/performance/unit-prices/gesb-super

https://csf.com.au/investment-performance/unit-prices

2 Likes

APRA have Quarterly MySuper Performance statistics here:

https://www.apra.gov.au/statistics

1 Like

Hi @Harbord let me move this discussion under ‘Feature ideas’.

4 Likes

Yes but how would Sharesight know how many units you have to give you an accurate statement of your wealth. It would change all the time according to contributions and any income stream taken. If the superfund sent you a PDF every time a contribution was made, a bit like a share trade confirmation, then it would be possible.

1 Like

Has anyone tracking their super on Sharesight? Particularly AustralianSuper with a daily crediting rate.
Thanks

Hi all,
I have tracked my Super HOSTPlus ChoicePlus investments which are ASX 300 Stocks and ETF’s with some USA exposure eg. VTS.ASX however while it is fairly accurate when I make further gains it doesn’t add up correctly with the CGT (Capital gains tax). While I’m not sure if it can be done but this would really be beneficial for me to accurately track buys, sells on HOSTPlus Choiceplus rather than manually changing my cash balance.

Example (made up)

100K total
70% individual stocks tracked (ASX 300) by entering average cost per share and the amount of shares.
30% cash
CGT 10%…this will change based to stock price changes daily.
Daily total of super in ChoicePlus and Sharesight is always slightly out.
Stocks go up and down and changes the unrealised CGT.

Also Major updates to Reports Required, it looks exactly as the home page! A table? Any cool analytics and flows? not yet!
Check out what Simply Wall Street has! Seems your UI guys need more inspiration…also they should just load up and not have to click date to do anything… only when the user wants different views or analytics, comparisons does one need to click on options.

Cheers!

Any help anyone with the CGT or getting them to total correctly?

Ben

I think this misses the point of a super investment…daily fluctuations are immaterial.

Did you get the feature from Sharesight.
I have just started to manually tracking it. My question is when the insurance got deducted what type of trade should I use to reflect the reduced share units.
Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The statistics are fairly limited e.g. only the Balanced option is shown. The growth and high growth or conservative are not shown.