Text in place of colour labels

• What feature do you want to see in Sharesight?
I would like to see an option to use Letters, numbers or shapes when creating labels to replace the present colour spots.
• Why do you want it?
I am colour blind on red, green and brown, this also includes purples, pinks etc. There must be several members that also have this issue to some degree.
• How is this affecting you?
The present method of creating labels does not allow me to choose a colour, shape or number/letter. I can’t decipher most of the offered colours, unless the colour provided is black, bright yellow, dark blue, maybe light blue.
• Do you currently have a workaround solution? If yes, what is it?
There is no workaround for me. I simply can’t use the present feature.
• Can we reach out in future to ask follow up questions about this idea?
Yes

1 Like

I’d also like to be able to change the colour of the labels. I see your problem and hope they do make changes to how labels are managed. It’s very basic at the moment. I’ve just created labels which are intuitively the wrong way around - eg Sell was the first, and is green, and Growth Potential was second and is red.

1 Like

Possibly, if Sharesight gave us a colour choice and we can create the colour that suits and we understand. I would limit my self to blue, yellow, black and red. Yellow and red are usually so different…for me…I can see them. Orange and green, red are confusing to me. At Traffic lights, Red is at the top, and is a dull colour. Amber(orange?) is lighter and bright. Green is usually white to me, and is at the bottom of the light set.

Around 1 in 12 men are color blind (in some form), the percentage women is much smaller.

In User Interface design you always want to avoid these type of color only dots. A way to solve this is to have a compact text displayed with the filter, surrounded by a color. That way there is the added emphasis with the color, but is remains accessible for color blind people.

Since screen resolution has gone up, reserving a bit of space for the labels should not be an issue (long ones could be cut off)

A quick search although there are better examples, see for reference:

So a line item would then look like [label 1][label 2] PSX.NYSE Phillips 66 etc.

It would also make sense to align labels, ticker and name in seperate columns like price, qty etc are. Now it looks convoluted. Again, a very simple design improvement.

Also, having only a colored dot is obscure. You have to hover over it to display the meaning, rendering it less than practical in general. (Search on “Mystery Meat Navigation” for examples)

Off-topic but related: the color code of labels should be consistent over multiple portfolios. I use labels to tag line items with the brokerage account. The filtering happens on the label text, so line items from the same broker in different portfolio show up in the result, but the labels – with the same name – have dots of different colors. This makes no sense.

1 Like