Researching stocks

Hi Farming,
I followed your contributions for a year over at MF. (never posted myself) I was hoping you will give me your opinion on my investment strategy. I currently have a basket of 6 ETF’s and 8 shares. small value of $32k in total, really enjoy following various ideas from MF/MF forum and doing my own research. However i have now used equity to borrow $150k to invest. My strategy is to DCA into IVV and NDQ at a mix of 60/40 over the next 10 months at $10k a month starting in October. I will leave the additional $50k for a rainy day or when we hit a crash (i wont be paying interest on it as its portfolio loan) im 46, can cover the interest payments with ease and hope to retire at 63. In your opinion am i missing something? Im after a set and forget, sleep at night peacefully portfolio. I will also continue to feed my personal interest in my smaller portfolio each month. Your advice would be appreciated.

Hi Camper , I’ll get back to you but first one question.
Are you still with MF ?
Reason I’m asking is that I have joined UB’s discord group , it is free , we are about 100 , all from MF and I can ask someone to send you an invite to join , it’s just password you’ll need . no personal details .
If you are not with MF then tell me if you are interested than I can ask one of the Modmin to send it to you here via Sharesight somehow.

Cheers

Thanks Farming, the link is shared quite regularly. ill go back through the chat and see if i can find one

1 Like

read Good Stocks Cheap, the text book for Value Investing: An Introduction. Do the course. Only USD750

There are many great suggestions in this thread. Here’s my addition:

After you have found a list of potential stocks, try to understand what, (apart from just rising earnings) might cause the stock to rise faster. i.e. look for a catalyst.

For example: Has a large shareholder retired, and may be looking to sell out? It could be a takeover candidate.

for Example: Is the company planning a spin-off?

For example: Has a geo-political event given it pricing power?

For example: Is an investment company applying to change into an ETF? This would eliminate any discount.

1 Like

I use a pretty strict filtering process with a mix of P/E, ROI, price to cashflow, etc. using Tradingview’s stock screener as the main ‘discovery’ tool:

Use this to form a shortlist, then consider macro sentiment, look into management, go over the last couple of annual reports (using MarketIndex).

I look for profitable companies that have good momentum and are undervalued mainly. Doesn’t really matter what size market cap as long as these are solid.

Thanks for that Trading View link. I am a Premium member, and never even knew they had such filters.

My top tool for global investment research is marketscreener. The ipad version at £10.99 a month will be great for most people, but I prefer the desktop browser version which has more information and cost £49.99 per month.

Does anyone here use Simply Wall Street to research stocks? They have some interesting stuff for pre-defined filters & other cool categories

I like the look of their more visual-based UI & they have just updated their ‘valuation’ metrics to be more in line with models I would look for: https://simplywall.st/

Hi slider77. I just signed up to SimplyWallStreet (No credit card needed!). It seems that they have a free plan, a Premium plan ($10 monthly), and an unlimited plan ($20 monthly). It looks like new signers get a 7 day trial of the premium plan. It’s a pity it is not 7 discreet days as opposed to 7 days, as practically this means I’ll test it once, instead of 7 times.

I could not help laughing at how stupid their name is “SimplyWallStreet”. They are providing data on worldwide stocks, but then give themselves an American sounding name. Frankly that name alone is probably the reason I never bothered looking at them.

My initial reaction from looking at the website was good. I liked that they show the performance of some of the more esoteric stock markets (e.g. Lebanon, Czech Republic etc).

I tested research on an Australian company - Pilbara Minerals. I like the way they score the company, e.g. 2/6 for valuation, 6/6 for future growth, 5/6 for financial health, and so on.

I then discovered that I could IMPORT my portfolio from Sharesight! Fantastic! That was a real time saver. I loved all the data it gives me about my portfolio, such as average p/e ratio, dividends, future growth vs market, etc. It seemed to only import 3 of my sharesight portfolios when I have 4. I had one called “test”, which i deleted, and then I could get all three sharesight portfolios in SimplyWallStreet. It was limited to the first 30 stocks in my portfolio (premium version), so I guess I will need the Unlimited plan.

Lastly, I experimented with the stock filter (screener). I did a search for companies in South Africa, Singapore, Switzerland, Sweden, and Spain with a value of more than $1 bln, p/e ratio below 20, PEG ratio below 1, 3 yr EPS growth estimate of more than 10%, dividend yield of more than 2%. It found 27 companies. It was easy to scroll my mouse over eacxh company for more info and to click for the full report.

My conclusion: Great find. I will sign up for the unlimited version.

1 Like