Icebreaker question for new members

I love that statement “It’s not the volume of Trading you do but the Quality”. Beautiful need that tattoo on my brain. I’ll keep an eye out for that book, thanks.

1 Like

Two “best” books imo are Trading for a Living by Alexander Elder and Trend Following by Michael Covel . Like I said earlier second one can be used to fight off intruders :slight_smile:

1 Like

For podcasts I listen to Stansberry Investor Hour ,The Meb Faber Show , Michael Covel and “must hear” Chat with Traders with Aussie Aaron Fifield. Covel and Fifield episodes with Tom Basso are worth thousands of dollars I reckon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have read many useful (and some some not so much) but the one that got me serious was:
Trading Tactics by Daryl Guppy

2 Likes

Hi farming1. It’s been a few years since we last chatted online. Nice to see you here and I trust you’re keeping well. I’ve changed my profile name from what it was on SA and CTHG (which I won’t post here). I’m the SAFFA.

1 Like

Nice to hear from you too . Yes getting older and not as fit but still in the mood for arguments :slight_smile:

1 Like

book : How to Beat the Managed Funds by 20%

1 Like

There are a couple that I’ve enjoyed. I suppose it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but The Berkshire Hathaway shareholder letters over the last +50 years make a good read imo. Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Phillip Fisher, The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the business of life, One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch, The Little Book that beats the market by Joel Greenblatt, The little book of behavioural investing by James Montier.

Biggest lesson - patience and fortitude. You can build real wealth holding great companies. There aren’t that many great companies, so don’t sell too early. Control your emotions and don’t panic when the share market drops.

The US Motley Fool podcasts are good.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t dream of arguing with you LOL, I’ll just buy the next CSL when you tell me to.

1 Like

The Canadian Couch Potato book, podcast and blog by Dan Bortolotti as well as the Empowered Investor by Keith Matthews, both book and podcast. All about the passive and index investing strategies as well as ETF-based portfolios, which I have followed since early 00’s.

1 Like

Cheers :slight_smile: btw I replied couple of minutes ago and apparently used “bad” word and system said it blocked it and will moderate later . It was about CSL and SA , so will be more careful from now on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, where did you find that book? I tried to order it in NZ and wasn’t able to find a copy other than an audio book on audible… I prefer to read my non fiction

One up on wall street - peter lynch
the most important thing - howard marks

Youtubers I regularly listen to:

• sven carlin, whose paid value stock picking research I also subscribe to and have taken a few of his picks
  • the market huddle. this is more trading chat and gets a bit esoteric if they’re talking options, but i like to listen to the shorter term traders and understand a bit of the technical stuff, even if i’m investing longer term
  • cameron stewart, cfa. Another value investor who does fairly thorough and free stock analysis with a US focus
2 Likes

Forex Roundup

1 Like

MotleyFool.

4 Likes

The podcast I listen to most is “invest like the best” by Patrick O’Shaunessy. Really smart and wide ranging interviews all across the finance spectrum.

3 Likes

Shares magazine for me.

1 Like

Probably The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle was one of the first investing books I read!

4 Likes

‘Don’t tell Sid’ was a short missive on uk version of listed investment trusts i saw in a used book shop. Started my investing process because of it in 1989 despite no friends or family with an interest in doing sokept it for my daughter…

2 Likes

The Intelligent Investor - Author Benjamin Graham.

2 Likes