BUYING/SELLING shares , Right or Wrong

Thoughts on buying at ATH’s. I see NDQ is today and I have read somewhere that buying at ATH’s usually has good results?

MFG’s lower than last year EPS was flagged by analyst before and when it came even lower than that ( even by just couple of % ) I knew market will not like that . Even if the figures were good and I didn’t sell on the open , I would have sold after it’s SP dropped below 200DMA . I have been mentioning 200DMA for some time now. I am not willing to hold any stock below 200 D line , I don’t care whether I bought it last week or 10 years ago . Since March 2020 I have decided that 200DMA is a line in the sand . I am willing to lose up to that point and no more , just in case SP stays down for long time and opportunity cost is always present too . I always liked and still like MFG and will get back in once its starts rising , SP will respond to any good news in the future , when it does I will climb on that bus . Also see Unitfree reply

Farming - does your 200 day average work in theory the same way as buying at ATH’s? Are you looking for prices that are moving upwards?

With LH I have topped up many times and always at a higher price.

No worries Unitfree , for me since March 2020 I have decided not to hold onto stock that sits below 200D line , be that for one week or one year , waiting for recovery . When SP recovers I’ll get back in . Some people worry about commissions of going in and out but sum I invest is not small so commission is just a very small part . Whipsaw can be expensive if the amount invested is small , but in my case I do not mind , what I want is peace of mind and let the share price tell me that things have improved , not some analyst that says MFG might be worth so much or so much , they usually talk their own books . Best and also see Fiona’s nreply

1 Like

Thank you so much Farming for your succinct explanation on MFG and the importance of 200D line in general. It is much appreciated. Cheer. :grinning:

1 Like

Any good business above 200D is always a buy , always . Any business , ( good or bad ) trading below 200D is always a sell for me , it speaks that something isn’t right somewhere . We will always find out later whether move above 200 or below 200 was the right move . I prefer to wait for that move with money in my pocket when it trades below.

Say Scott or Joe say today MFG is worth $100 . Good honest people, but why not wait until market rises the price above $51 , 200 line first , why worry that we must buy $3-$4 cheaper . If we are investing to get back $50 -$60 per share ( the way Scott and Joe say we will one day get ) then $3-4 isn’t important and lets remember , SP could also go to $30 or $20 before it gets to $100 . Trip might take few months or few years .

Nothing id forever for me since March 2020 , Another March that last 1 month , 1 year or 10 years can happen anytime . Whatever good business comes back I will wait for them , if they come great , if they do not , great too. Sorry to harp on this point, that many might think silly , to me its very important .

I hope everyone knows this is NOT about MFG , it is about the PLAN FORWARD for me. MFG just happens to be one stock that went below the line and will not be treated any differently . If I am to obey the rule then it must be obeyed 100% , no exceptions . Otherwise I might catch a virus :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks Farming. I think I get the idea. :pray: :pray: :pray:

I have tried but I cant work out how to get 200 MDA on commsec?

Hi Eel,
(1) In the Commsec page, type “MFG” in the search box.
(2) Go to “Chart”.
(3) Click the “MFG and 1 more” tab.
(4) Click “Simple Moving Average (SMA) (20)” tab.
(5) Change the period from 20 to 200, and then click “Done”.
Also please make sure the chart is at “Daily” mode. You will see the 200D line.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Fiona. Just did it.

Farming so you are saying any stock you want to but is good if above 200MDA?

Eel , you are reading too fast :slight_smile: Any good business I said above 200 DMA is a good buy , some are cheaper others very expensive but all are good, Any bad business or good business trading below 200 is NOT a BUY for me . I will wait until SP move above confirms that “goodness” .

Eel ,after that you can graduate to EMA ( Exponential MA ) where last day is more important than the first day and it reflects in the graph . That is where I look for 3 month Weekly and Daily but most importantly for 5 Year Monthly EMA , It is similar to 200 SMA but not the same . When SP crosses one ( EMA or SMA ) my ears stand up , when it crosses both, trigger is pulled , on buy as well as sell .

Eel , do your self a small favour and see 200 day for NDQ and APX and see " When was the last time NDQ was below the line and when was the last time APX was above the line ".

Farming - NDQ not below the line at all and APX has been below since December 2020.

So I need to understand the significance of this? If you wanted to buy NDQ, would you be happy to do so ATM, or when lines become closer? Am I on the right path.

And would you look at re-entering APX when lines cross?

100% on the money Eel . Knowing you I know you are “burning” to spend extra cash , great thing about you is you almost always bought quality so chance of suffering isn’t big . Now however, it looks like NDQ has run very far from the line so buying nearer the line is needed . Remember that line is rising too but not as fast as SP . I am waiting to add to NDQ . Yes the graph show that anyone bought NDQ at anytime in the past has made money , someone more, someone less, but all made money . APX graph shows that anyone bought since Dec 2020 has lost money and buying now is not an option imo .After the result SP will react and so will we , but it must rise first , we don’t want to look for bottom , which might even be zero , stranger things have happened. 200 D is very high up so like I told you last week I will add once it crosses weekly which atm is $12.90-$13 and again at 200 D . Should it fail to ever break 200 we might as well get rid of the bloody thing and ride something else.

hey farming, great answer. Thankyou. I love learning from you mate.

Re LH, how do you gauge your entries there?

Hi Farming,
By 3 month Weekly, do you mean weekly EMA with a period of 12 i.e. (3x4)?
By 3 month Daily, do you mean daily EMA with a period of 90 i.e. (3x30)?
By 5 Year Monthly, do you mean monthly EMA with a period of 60 i.e. (5x12)?
Am I in the right path? I hope you don’t mind me asking. Many thanks.