Average Buy Price

Is there a feature that allows me to work out/see what my average buy price is for an individual share? So that if I buy 10 different parcels of the same share at 10 different prices, what my average buy price is? Either with or without the brokerage?

1 Like

You can find this on the individual holding page for the stock under Holding Information as the cost base per share :+1:

Hello Jack,
I am a little confused so bear with me…
In the holding information section one of my stocks that I have bought and sold portions off over the last couple of years and have ended up with 2,500 share’s with total cost invested of $11,583.50 and the returns from selling = $11,447.70, both amounts include brokage where applicable.
Using my basic math the 2,500 shares cost me $135.80 div by 2,500 = $0.0543 per/share.

In the Holding information section today the stock is $0.905 per/share…current value = $2,262.50 current quantity = 2,500 cost base per/share =$1.007 with a total cost/base of $2,516.49
Sorry about the length of my question, but am I looking at this correctly?

Kind regards William Howell

Do you have multiple buys or any dividends that may have changed the cost base?

Hello Jack,
There are no dividends for AXE Archer Materials or multiple buys.
Cheers William

Hello Again Jack,
In my last reply I stated there were no multiple buys…just to be clear what are Multiple buys.

Cheers
William

So by this I mean did you buy all your units at once, or have you been buying in different instances?

hello Jack,
I have been buying and selling AXE from 15.01.2020 to 29.09.2021

Cheers William

Hi, I think I know where you’re going wrong. The way you’re calculating the cost basis is not correct. Taking a simple example:

Buy 100 shares @ £1.00 each
Later sell 50 of those shares @ £2.00 each.

Using your calculations cost = £100 and returns from sales = £100 therefore the cost basis is £0.

However the actual cost basis would be the cost of the 50 remaining shares - so 50 @ £1.00 = £50.

Obviously it’ll be more complex when shares are purchased and sold over time, but that’s the basic principle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Chris