Short and long call/put options

• What feature do you want to see in Sharesight?
Options support:

• Short and long calls
  • Short and long puts

• Why do you want it?
This is extremely beneficial for any options traders and will result with an increase of Sharesight premium subscribers and users to the platform.

• How is this affecting you?
I require to input this manually as this is not a Sharesight feature

• Do you currently have a workaround solution? If yes, what is it?

1. Manually inputting every options trade and multiplying each contract by 100x.
  2. Manually inputting significant Comments to ensure I understand what position and strategy was opened.
  3. If it is a Short position, I need to manually reverse the position once closed.

• Can we reach out in future to ask follow up questions about this idea?
Yes

16 Likes

Seconded. Entering options (including complex strategies) is very convoluted and time-consuming at the moment. It makes me consider going back to Excel over Sharesight.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree!

I initiated ShareSight with the same question about options and was told it could be in the works for the future.

I want so badly for ShareSight to work for me but currently it does not. My main purpose would be to help track cost basis for each symbol I invest with. Currently I also manually input all options trades and normal buying and selling but it can be a real pain. I will mostly sell puts or calls with a company I’m interested in and have figured out the correct formula to be able to track this within Excel (google sheets) the only difficult part it having to manually enter everything.

I don’t think it should be that difficult to give basic features for this. Feature could always grow over time too.

What say you ShareSight? :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Danny, thanks for joining the Community. Our plans on Options remain the same as when you spoke to Piumi a few weeks ago. We don’t have any immediate plans to add support for options, we’ll be sure to let you know if this changes.

Danny,

Mind posting a copy of the Google Sheets you use to track options? (Remove all personal data prior)

Thanks!

I couldn’t agree more! Options are part of my strategy in addition to buying and selling shares. It’s a big issue not to be able to track your total portfolio performance.
Please, add it in! Cheers.

3 Likes

Sure thing. I don’t normally share things like this so…let me know if it doesn’t come through properly.

To not try to hype anything I’m doing I am showing two different equities, BA and CCL. One’s a success so far and the other one is…a future successful investment. :slight_smile:

The main thing for me is on the right we have cost basis shown with only buys/sell and then another cost basis calculated with all of the premiums added in from selling options. Of course, this will lower the cost basis because of the extra capital collected.

Also, if you see any problems with what I am doing let me know! I’m sure it could be improved.

Investing Cost Basis Example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IAgZN4RzN31LbDqG-T0gtgN8JY8Se-8UJ4E-zXZQots/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

I would like to see this added too. It is the only thing stopping me from signing up to premium accounts. I sell calls and puts to enter and exit positions and need to be able to enter negative balances to be able to do this.

I’d be happy with the ability to enter the trades and negative balances manually initially. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Need to go back to the spreadsheet for now.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Agreed!

Another vote

Has anyone figured out an appropriate way to enter a completed option liquidation (in my case a covered call premium) into sharesight?

I have created a buy of a custom investment at $0 less commission and sell at the option price:

eg:

1 Like

+1 even for standard ASX listed options where I’ve received bonus options or free attached options Sharesight’s implemention is half baked (conversion/expiry not handled naturally). Can only imagine the pain for US options or ETOs. Feel like sharesight is massively overlooking this.

Yes please. Lack of support for various & all spread types, history/closed positions etc is a deal breaker for me :frowning:

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, I am curious about options but I can’t seem to find out how they are dealt with from a tax perspective.

I assume that if I were to trade options, any gains would be treated as income tax at my marginal rate.

Does anyone know if this effects my regular overseas share investments, would they be tainted under this scenario and have to be treated as income, or would I be able to apply the FIF tax regime?

If anyone has knowledge of where to find NZ tax treatment of derivatives I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank You.

+1 to options. I currently use something else until they decide to support options. Your competitors support options maybe its time to add it?

+1 desperately need a better way to handle options. I’ve been putting off putting in this year’s options trades, and I probably just wont bother in sharesight, which is a shame because it’s an absolutely brilliant service.

+1 feels like a glaring oversight. Options are great instruments for any trader / investor and should Be included in returns assessments

1 Like

Yes I’m also interested in functionality that caters for Option Traders. Buying Calls / Puts; Selling (writing) calls and puts. Thanks

Seconded, for both long/short calls/puts.

Options is not just another instrument type unrelated to equities securities. It is an integral part of some share/ETF investment management plans.

Personally I mostly deal with options shorts tightly coupled to my US equities holdings. The outcome of the shorts may need to be factored into the proceeds / consideration of equities holdings and without proper options support, the Sharesight experience for tracking equities is rather incomplete / clunky.