Icebreaker question for new members

What was the best book, blog, podcast or YouTube channel that helped you in your investing journey?

3 Likes

Sharetrader, Shareclarity.

2 Likes

A Random Walk down Wall Street by Dr Burton Malkiel of Princeton University (now in its 19th edition).

6 Likes

Best Book - Building Wealth in the Stock Market by Colin Nicholson.
ASA Website (asa.com.au) contains a lot of useful items on investing.
Alan Hull - Technical Analysis Guru and author of several books.
These have all been a thorough source of information and guidance in my investing journey.

4 Likes

So many good books, but Damn Right on Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe and The Warren Buffet Way by Robert G Hagstrom both excellent. The FT every day, and their database on all the world’s listed companies is great. Ex-FT John Authers whom I have followed for over 10 years now is at Bloomberg where he does an excellent (free!) daily newsletter.

2 Likes

Ausbiz - The Call as podcast or livestreamed

1 Like

Roger Montgomery’s Invalueable

3 Likes

Random Walk was going to be mine, but @Swordfish805 beat me to it…I’ll add The Snowball: Warren Buffett on The Business of Life.

2 Likes

Doug - coincidentally, I read Snowball over the last Xmas holidays. A great read and it lays out the secret of Buffett’s success really comes to down to an intense focus on learning and scouring all opportunities for attractive returns.

Only wish I’d read it when I was 15…

Phillip

3 Likes

Hi all
Just joined this forum. I haven’t read a lot of books so many on the list but am aware of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger of course. Interested in reading some of the books you shared. I use Motely Fool and Rask Invest to get knowledge alot of which comes from those guys.
Looking forward to chatting on this forum. Only just started using Sharesight too.

2 Likes

Podcasts:

Industry Focus, Market Foolery, Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Money all from the Motley Fool (USA team). See Motley Fool Podcasts | The Motley Fool for details. The Australian team also does a podcast but by the time I’ve got through the above each week I run out of time for the one here in Australia and my personal focus is more on the US markets.

YouTube:

Cathy Wood (Ark Invest) does a normally bi-weekly summary that is often very good, as are other videos posted to the Ark Invest YouTube channel. See https://www.youtube.com/c/Arkinvest2015/featured

(I’m a long term buy and hold investor, not trying to trade in and out of stocks, so the above reflect that).

4 Likes

Hi All,

I haven’t read anything. I’ve been dabbling on and off the last few years without much consistency or success :wink: But I have been seeing a lot of David Quan and other Youtube videos on peoples’ experience and so far I think I’m doing ok and have stuck to it since May this year. I tend to learn from other peoples’ experiences and youtube.

1 Like

Equity Mates and Peter Lynch, one up on Wall St.

3 Likes

Peter Bernstein Against the Gods The history of risk

1 Like

FIRE and Chill!

2 Likes

I’m currently reading The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel. I’ve followed him for a number of years on the Motley Fool USA. If you can understand how you react to money then you will be a much better investor.

I agree with the one above on the Motley Fool USA podcasts. I Listen to the Motely Fool Money and Rule Breakers most weeks. You can go back and listen to the whole of the Rule breakers podcasts as there is plenty to learn from them. I subscribe to Motley Fool Stock Adviser & Rule Breakers. Open an account at Schwab in the USA and then follow the Motley Fool recommendations you will be fine.

4 Likes

Yep love the Morgan Housel book. Great one to read, re read and jump into when you need some perspective.

One I’ve used to help drive me to be a more intentional investor is Invested by Danielle Town. Nothing fancy about it, but a real balanced approach to finding companies with a considered approach. Book made me understand its not the volume of trading you do but the quality.

1 Like

I found the Equity Mates ‘Get Started Investing’ podcast to be really helpful when I was starting out :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the great question.
For me it is by far the Youtube Channels:
New Money and Hamish Hodder.
While these investors and educators are more towards the start of their journey they have many things to teach and inspire a 50+ in the investing space.

1 Like