Cost base/share on Overview page

• What feature do you want to see in Sharesight?
Cost base/share on the Overview page as a column next to Price.

• Why do you want it?
Easy access to cost base.

• How is this affecting you?
Currently I have to open each holding and then go to “Holding Information” before I can see cost base. Its too cumbersome.

• Can we reach out in future to ask follow up questions about this idea?
Yes

Agree. Please add a Cost Basis column to the Overview Page. This is essential for Cap Gain tracking and most brokers provide this info on their web sites and in brokerage statements. For many securities I see differences in Cap Gain between Sharesight and my broker’s statement. Most of these differences result from different cost basis figures in Sharesight and as reported by my broker. This is especially true if securities were transferred “in kind” between brokerage accounts. I spend far too much time trying to figure out cost basis in these kind of transactions. I also don’t see cost basis figures in Sharesight for closed positions under the Holdings Summary tab.

Thank you for the feedback. Currently we don’t have any plan to add cost base per share (or cost base) to the overview page. However, we do review this request on an ongoing basis.

The main reason we are cautious about adding cost base information to the overview page is the confusion it might create. Currently, we use AVERAGE method for performance calculation and FIFO method (default) for tax calculation. Both methods create different cost base when a holding has multiple buy trades and partial sell trades. So the question is do we use the AVERAGE method which is relevant to capital gains information shown in Overview,
Holding page, Performance Report, Sold Securities Report etc or do we use FIFO method (or the method specified in the CGT Report) because that is more relevant?

The answer is simple: Use average cost base on the overview page and FIFO for tax related reports. I don’t see what’s confusing here.

As it is, as a US investor I don’t get the CGT report and don’t see the cost basis either. Not sure why you can’t do FIFO cost basis for US tax report if you can do Canada, for example. Having this feature might actually help to increase your US subscriber base.
And, again, not being able to see cost base for closed holdings is a major flaw in my view.